So, I’ve been thinking about cupcakes for a few days now. I can’t remember the last time I ate one, so I thought I’d put my baking skills to the test. This was my first attempt at baking a vegan cupcake. I do have to say, I will make some alterations next time (isn’t that the way it always goes?!), but if I do say so myself, they turned out pretty yum for the first try!
The base of this recipe came from the Golden Vanilla Cupcake of ‘Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World’ (with a few twists of my own!). Then I whipped up a frosting from an old recipe I’ve made in the past. Here it goes if you want to give it a go:
Anise Cupcakes with Cashew Buttacream Frosting
1 cup of plain soymilk
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
1 ¼ cups of bread flour
2 tbsp cornstarch
¾ tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
¼ tsp sale
1 stick (8 tbsp) nonhydrogenated soy margarine
¾ cup of sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
¼ tsp anise extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Put muffin liners (or grease) muffin pan.
- Whisk the soy milk and vinegar in a small bowl and set aside for a few minutes to curdle.
- Combine the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into a large bowl and mix.
- With a mixer cream (medium speed) soy margarine and sugar for about 2 minutes until light and fluffy (Don’t over beat). Beat in the vanilla and anise then alternate beating in the soy milk mixture and dry ingredients, stopping to scrape the sides of the bowl a few times.
- Fill cupcake liners two-thirds of the way and bake for 20 to 22 minutes. Transfer to a cooling rack, and let cool completely before frosting.
1/4 cup soy nonhydrogenated margarine, softened
2 tbsp nonhydrogenated shortening
1/3 cup creamy cashew butter
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted
1 to 2 tbsp coconut milk creamer (or can use soy milk)
Cream together soy margarine and shortening at medium speed till smooth. Add cashew butter and vanilla and beat until very smooth, 2-3 minutes. Beat in sugar. Add in coconut milk creamer a little at a time, beating continuously till frosting is pale tan and very fluffy.
Frost cupcakes and enjoy! (I also sprinkled a bit of unsweetened coconut on top for good measure!) mmmm…..