Here is the much anticipated Vegan King Cake Recipe!
2/3 cup of warm water (110-115 degrees)
2 packets active dry yeast
1 tbsp sugar
1 cup of soymilk
1/4 cup of Earth Balance (margarine)
1/2 cup of sugar
2 ‘eggs’ of Ener-g Egg Replacer
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp grated Orange zest
5 1/2 cups of bread flour
- Scald soy milk, remove from heat and stir in 1/4 cup of butter. Allow mixture to cool to room temperature. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in the warm water with 1 tablespoon of the white sugar. Let stand until proofed, about 10 minutes.
- When yeast mixture is bubbling, add the cooled soy milk mixture. Whisk in the ‘eggs’. Stir in the remaining white sugar, salt, cinnamon, orange zest and nutmeg. Beat the flour into the milk/egg mixture 1 cup at a time. When the dough has pulled together, turn it out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 8 to 10 minutes. Or you can use a dough hook on your mixture (this is the best way to go!).
- Lightly oil a large bowl, place the dough in the bowl and turn to coat with oil. Cover with a damp cloth or plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until doubled in volume, about 2 hours. When risen, punch down and divide dough in half.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease 2 cookie sheets or line with parchment paper.
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
2/3 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup melted Earth Balance
- To Make Filling: Combine the brown sugar, ground cinnamon, chopped pecans, 1/2 cup flour and 1/2 cup raisins. Pour 1/2 cup melted margarine over the cinnamon mixture and mix until crumbly.
- Roll dough halves out into large rectangles (about 10×16 inches or so). Sprinkle the filling evenly over the dough and roll up each half tightly like a jelly roll, beginning at the wide side. Bring the ends of each roll together to form 2 oval-shaped rings. Place each ring on a prepared cookie sheet. (you can also make small cuts 1/3 of the way through the rings at 1 inch intervals to help rise if you want) Let rise in a warm spot until doubled in size, about 45 minutes.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes. Before you put in the oven, push or fold in the doll, dried bean or almond into the bottom of the cake.
- Frost with a confectioner sugar/2 tbsp fresh lemon juice/water mixture. Add food colored sugar in green, purple, and yellow to the top. Enjoy!