I’ve always used patterns to make my projects. For the first time I went rogue and created my own design! Yeah! I am very happy with the final outcome. Before I show you the shirt, I have to say that when I bought this fabric in Kansas City, it told me that it wanted to turn into a shirt with a ruffle. I didn’t have a pattern for this, but thought, how hard can this be to make myself? Along with having a ruffle kick out, I knew I wanted it to button down the side and nip in at the natural waist. Now I just had to get all the pieces together to start…
I purchased the fabric in January, but at that point didn’t have the perfect buttons to use for the fastenings. After searching high and wide in my ‘go-to’ flea markets, I ended up finding the perfect buttons in Charlotte. They are art deco glass buttons that add such a nice touch to the shirt. Now with all the materials I needed to create the shirt I had pictured in my head, I got started.
Never really working with delicate linen before, I became best friends with my seam ripper! Luckily, I didn’t have to use it too much, but it never fails that I sew a piece on the wrong side and I did this for the armhole facing and a piece around the waist. But after a few hours and numerous fittings (I really need to get a dress form!), I got my pattern pieces just right and was able to add all the finishing details and ruffle around the bottom.
I finished up the project last night and now am ready for this cool weather to move out so I can pair this beauty with a pencil skirt and pair of pumps. I think it turned out very closely to the picture in my head and that I did this fabric justice!